The Professor – On Good & Evil

“I do not believe this darkness will endure.”

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.
But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now
mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.”

J.R.R. Tolkien

Goodness

J.R.R. Tolkien experienced the shadow of evil and the tragedy of death and destruction.  The struggle between good and evil is a recurring theme throughout all of his writings.  Darkness exists in our world.  It is relentless in its need to triumph over good.  J.R.R. Tolkien believed that the essence and nature of evil could not prevail against goodness and decency.  And yet, darkness takes a toll and there are some that will bear the scars forever.

“How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep…that have taken hold.” – Frodo

J.R.R. Tolkien

‘J.R.R. Tolkien believed that the essence and nature of evil could not prevail against goodness and decency’ amen to that. Very apt for today.

My thoughts and prayers have been with the families…their lives have been changed forever. Thank you so much for your visit!

So timely now Rebecca. Write, write, write. We need you.

What a wonderful message to receive. Thank you so much, my dear friend. I really appreciated your tribute today…we cannot imagine the loss, but we can offer our prayers.

3. LaVagabonde says:

I’ve particularly enjoyed this week’s posts, Rebecca. The struggle against darkness seems never-ending.

Thank you so much for your comments – they are so appreciated. I agree – the struggle is never ending. I think that is why friendships are so important. Friendship = Hope. And as Samwise said so eloquently: “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.”

4. Something to aspire to as we face yet another tragedy and cry for the innocent lives that were lost … Thanks, Rebecca.

I share your sadness and grief. Thank you for your words. My thoughts and prayers are with the families today…

5. Beautiful flower!! Amazing capture!!!

Your visits and comments are always welcomed and appreciated!!!

6. So many worthwhile comments. Lives have been utterly broken and changed forever in the last few days. We do pray for the families whose lives will never be the same. We need to also pray for children all over the world who are suffering and dying needlessly every day.

Amen…I just read a quote by Nelson Mandela that goes with your words: “We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear.”

7. Ed Spadoni says:

“It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.” John F. Kennedy.

We all need to be candles now.

I am lighting one as I read your thoughts. One of my all time favourite quotes. Darkness cannot conquer…