A Poet On Joy

“Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough.”

Emily Dickinson

Candlelight

Emily Elizabeth Dickenson lived a quiet, even reclusive life.  She was introverted and thought to be eccentric by those in her local community.  Yet, her soul was ignited by poetry. She wrote in private, penning nearly eighteen hundred poems, without the need for acclaim or approbation. Less than a dozen of her poems were published during her lifetime; even those were notably altered.  Emily Dickenson’s poetry collection was discovered upon her death in 1886 by her younger sister, Lavinia. In 1890, her first collection of poetry, heavily edited, was published.  It was not until 1955 that an unaltered version was published and the world finally met the real Emily Dickenson. Today, she is considered to be a major American poet.

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain

Emily Dickinson

The poet has spoken: Joy is found in the act of living.

Yes, it is. And thank you for choosing that particular poem. I had forgotten it. (How is that possible!) It goes straight to the heart. Now I am off to help one little dog experience the joy of being alive on an evening walk.

Have a wonderful time…thanks for stopping by…

I love when you stop by to say hello with a smile!!!

1. arjun bagga says:

What will I do without you, Clanmotherr? I wonder..
        you make a 38 year old miserable poet, blush!

I am thankful that you are a poet – the world without poetry would be bleak, indeed.

3. arjun bagga says:

Go to poetry section. You’ll find tons of them. Just kiddin to make a point that is ask anyone around to find another clanmother…Nay

2. “One fainting robin”. What an intense, meaningful picture. “Into his nest again” Safe at home.

I agree wholeheartedly. There is great meaning in those words that strike at the core of the Christmas message.

3. LizzieJoy says:

Lovely words of Emily Dickinson that touch the heart. What a wonderful attitude towards life. Thank you.

She had poetry in her heart! And she exemplifies the spirit of Christmas joy – it is better to give than to receive…

Merry Christmas to year my dear and thank you for remembering the wonderful Emily!

Merry Christmas – all the very best of the season to you and yours and all those wonderful animals that love to visit the holler!!! I remember the first time I “met” Emily…I was overcome by the gentleness of her words. There was no threats, or tantrums, just a kindness.

“Because I could not stop for Death –
      He kindly stopped for me –
      The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
      And Immortality.”

5. Isn’t it amazingand sad how so often these wonderful artists are not appreciated and cannot be coped with in their own lifetimes. We are fortunate though to have the benefit of their talents and creativity. What a lovely week of posts bringing joy to us all, as indeed you have done all year – thank you so very much.

Thank you so much for all of your visits, your comments and your enthusiasm for artistic endeavors. Merry Christmas – all the very, very best to you and yours. I’m so glad that we are heading into 2013, together…

1. And a very very merry Christmas to you and yours too! What fun we have had together this year and I look forward to so many more adventures in 2013!

We survived the end of the world – that is a good first step in the right direction…