The Write Approach

Writers Fest

If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.”

Anais Nin

One of the maxims of promotion is to identify a target market so that you can construct a marketing program that has a realistic probability of drawing an audience, consumer, listening or reader.  Many creative individuals rebel against the commercialism of this type of approach even as they recognize that monetary considerations cannot be ignored indefinitely.

The stakes are considerable. Food on the table and a roof overhead is a reality that we all face.  For writers, there is the added uncertainty of artistic direction.  Writing may be finding that delicate balance between the need to write what is in the heart with the desire to please an unknown audience.   Yet, it seems that those who listen to their inner voice achieve the greatest reward – they have responded to their calling.

“To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it’s about, but the inner music that words make.”

Truman Capote

Your visits always make my day. The smile says it all….

1. arjun bagga says:

your daily post is my fortune cookie 🙂

Thank you!! The year is only 14 days old – fortune is with us…

3. arjun bagga says:

Yes!! I understand.

“Inner music that words make” ; I love that. I can’t sing at all but my words come to me like little songs in my head. I blame it on nursery rhymes at kindergarten/pre-school where learning came through singing and action. How do words come to those who have learned via computers from day one?

An very interesting point. The other day I read that toy manufacturers were concerned that children no longer wanted “toys.” They preferred electronic devices. We live in interesting times.

Oh what a sad day for the clothes peg dolls!

And remember the etch-a-sketch? 🙂

Anais Nin and Truman Capote had it right. Excellent post.

They certainly had a way with words. Thank you so much for your comments and support!

3. mixedupmeme says:

I think we not only need to learn to write……and never stop learning, but we also need to learn to read.

I wish I could write well enough to write about reading. lol

A very good point about reading. And I agree – the learning possibilities are endless. I am confident that you could sing and write poetry about reading.

4. I think honouring your inner voice is important. Then what you write is purer and more authentic. Writing to please yourself or writing to please an imagined audience??? The jury is probably still out but if you write from your heart at least you know that what you write is your own truth.

Corinne

Very true. I find most people write for others, in the end, because we want to inspire a discussion or a dialogue. It is about connecting with each other in a meaningful and life-affirming way. Your visits and comments always add sparkle to my day…

5. indiferent says:

Rebecca, believe me! Right, true, inspirational, motivational, a profound sense. Everything is for those people who really feel!

We must continue to right our stories. We are the experts of our lives.