Canada Celebrates

Celebrate

February is a time when Canadians celebrate the stories, experiences and accomplishments of Canada’s black community. The Honourable Jason Kenney, Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, stated, “As Canadians, it’s important to remember those who came before us, and the sacrifices they made to help build the country we have today. Central to our history and how we built our great democracy is the important contributions of Canadians of African and Caribbean descent.”

The struggle for equality will always be with us as we move forward.  Yet, there are milestones that have been gained over the years because courageous and determined individuals would not tolerate discrimination.   May we continue boldly in their footsteps…

I, too, sing America.
― Langston Hughes

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I’ll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody’ll dare
Say to me,
“Eat in the kitchen,”
Then.

Besides,
They’ll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed–

I, too, am America.”

I am thinking of a remarkable Canadian woman Michaëlle Jean .

We are all extremely proud of her!!! She has brought honour to her position.

2. I love this, Rebecca! What goes around comes around.

So very true. It seems to be a universal axiom!!!

3. mixedupmeme says:

Agree that the struggle will always be there.
    Slavery and women’s rights were once never even considered an equality rights issue.

Today there are new rights of equality of same sex marriage being debated that were once beyond considering let alone even thought of.

I wonder if in 50 years there will be new issues we haven’t even conceived of.

Celebrations are good!!

I have often thought of how future generations will see us. We have made great strides, but we seem to be held back by a fear that progress is somehow detrimental. Sometimes, I think that we are slaves to “this is the way it’s always been done.” I love the quote by Helen Keller: “No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.” Thank you so much for your comments and adding to the dialogue. Very much appreciated!!!

4. friendlytm says:

Great post! We are also celebrating Black History Month.

Let’s celebrate together!!! Thank you for your encouraging comments.

5. I love the spirit that you have highlighted in this post, although I am not familiar with the history part …. A truly lovely poem.

Thank you so very much!!! Langston Hughes is one of my favourite poets. Even when he was young, he understood that progress took courage and determination. Check out OnTheRoad – http://ontheroadbookclub.com/2013/02/02/otr-celebrates-langston-hughes/

Outstanding poem. A poem worthy of any valued collection. We thank those of all colors that have made such a big contribution to our beloved country.

He was truly amazing!! I especially like his poem – “Mother to Son”

“Don’t you fall now—
      For I’se still goin’, honey,
      I’se still climbin’,
      And life for me ain’t been no crystal stair.”

7. adinparadise says:

Thanks for sharing this, Rebecca. What a very special poem.

Your comments and presence are so very much appreciated! Thank you!! Langston Hughes challenged the status quo every time he picked up a pen….

8. Such a leader Honorable Kenney is. To remind us of those before us that sacrificed and persevered for our personal and physical freedom.

I am amazed by the human spirit. I often wonder if these people ever counted the personal cost of what they did, or whether they responded to the need, knowing that it was “their watch.” We stand on the shoulders of giants.