On Growing Old

A Paris Rose
A Paris Rose

A lifeline move in one direction as it marks the hours, months, years.  Our bodies may feel the effects of aging, but our hearts and minds have the capacity to be ageless.  Always be astonished with the essence of living.

“You must not pity me because my sixtieth year finds me still astonished.  To be astonished is one of the surest ways of not growing old too quickly.”

Sidonie Gabrielle Colette

1. So true as ever – our jumper-lady is a case in point!

Absolutely!!! Creating 500 sweaters is all about creating love…

Oh that is good news because I am astonished most of the time. I even astonish myself!

And you astonish me every time I visit! We are on the right track!!

3. LaVagabonde says:

Holding on to wonder brings eternal youth, at least internally.

I agree – and internal is all that counts. I like when you said “holding” because I think we must continually guard against the loss of wonder. “I have found my voice again and the art of using it…” ― Colette, The Vagabond

4. arjun bagga says:

So true and there is more astonishing news. At 90, I have Gabriel Garcia Marquez eagerly awaiting to stun me.

Ah, yes!!! “It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams.”
      ― Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

5. It’s good to be reminded of this, especially now since my bones started creaking…

I never thought it was possible to creak! But my bones have said it was very possible – and I am astonished. I am glad I found a kindred spirit…

6. Dina says:

How very true!
    Astonishment itself is the root of alltime philosophy, where would we be without it?
    Stay young, happy and marvel at the world.
    Love
    Dina

My dear friend, you exemplify “stay young, happy and marvel at the world.” It is a joy to stop by and join your discussions!!!

7. ha, this is an interesting topic, I haven’t thought about the issue of aging, I enjoy the feeling of being more mature than before, with a bit more intelligence and curiosity towards different aspects of life, rather than with all those innocent thoughts in my mind when I was younger.

I remember the first time I received a birthday card that was about getting older. I was only 28! it really made me think – not the fact that I was getting older. It was more about how we categorize people by age and then apply a assessment of too young, too old, or just right. I agree with you – feeling more mature than before and hopefully a little bit more intelligent and having a lot more curiosity. Thank you so much for joining the dialogue!!!

1. friendlytm says:

I have a similar story..I overheard.some college students talked among themselves in a locker room that those people are so old ( They were referring to me and my classmates. I was under 30, in graduate school. But my classmates were older men. We were competing with the younger people for a badminton court!)

A very interesting analogy. It doesn’t take long before we are considered “old.” Especially when we are competing for the same resources. Thank you so much for joining the dialogue – very much appreciated.

8. ladysighs says:

I don’t mind getting old or perhaps I should say being old. I just don’t like the feeling of oldness. lol

But now that I am here…….I find I can get rid of so much baggage of life’s cares. I just carry a little tote bag now.

Yes! Yes! Yes! And it is such a relief to get rid of excess baggage. I feel like I’m heading into my early twenties, only this time, with a “little tote bag.”

9. she had quiet a collection of quotes

Yes, she did!!! They are always thought provoking!!! She certainly knew how to stir up controversy….

We need to have our eyes wide open to see wonderful and exiting things. What a privilege to grow old and be able enjoy all the new things that are happening. We are surprised and often times very “astonished”.

And the more surprised we are the more hope that there will always be an adventure around the corner!. “Hope costs nothing. ” Colette

11. opreach says:

How true – Said as a woman who has recently turned 60! 😉

Your blog bring fresh springs of water to my day! This is our time…

1. opreach says:

Thanks so much! 😉

We are living the reality!!!

12. Yes ! What is that…??? the mind stays young, but the body gets old. i wouldn’t mind if it was the other way.

I have a feeling that I will always be running to catch up to you!!! I was thinking of you when I read one of Colette’s quotes! “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.”

Thank you, my friend. You always make me feel creative…

13. 67paintings says:

Like Samuel Beckett suggests, it’s what we do that defines the ‘why’ of our being here… So perhaps growing old is rediscovering that the best days of our lives are here. I called my blog 67paintings because for years I felt it would be a retirement project, then luckily realised it was rather foolish to wait that long (well ok…not that long). Time waits for no man, or woman.

Well said, my friend!! I am rediscovery the joy of everyday. As Samuel Beckett once said, “You’re on Earth. There’s no cure for that.”

14. ks3nia says:

Wonderful words 🙂 and a “fun fact”: In Russia giving yellow flowers means goodbye..

Thank you so much for your fun fact!!! And what a coincidence! If I remember correctly, that was one of the last photos I took before leaving Paris. It was a rather sad day for me! Your presence and comments are so much appreciated…

1. ks3nia says:

That is a funny coincidence! Leaving is not always sad in a bad way though 🙂 And thank you for the compliment – I’ve been meaning to tell you the same! Really 😀

I agree – it means that you will come again, sometime… 🙂

15. What a wonderful sentiment, what a beautiful flower! Retaining the ability to be amazed, that is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you, my dear friend! You always make me feel amazing…