We are the Dreamer of Dreams

Dreamers

“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”

Oscar Wilde

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!  We have been given this moment to dream.  Let’s use it wisely. As another famous Irish Poet, Arthur O’Shaughnessy once said, “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life’s passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

1. pjbrez says:

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Speaking of dreams, I just shared Langston Hughes’ poem, Dreams, with my students earlier today. We had a lesson on bucket lists and all the things we want to do before we depart this earth.

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
    For if dreams die
    Life is a broken-winged bird
    That cannot fly.
    Hold fast to dreams
    For when dreams go
    Life is a barren field
    Frozen with snow.

Langston Hughes

I got goosebumps when I read your comment! Extraordinary – that today you would be discussing this poem with your students, and I would be on the opposite side of the globe reading the same poem and thinking the same thoughts. You just made my day!

1. pjbrez says:

Glad to hear it! It’s one of my favorite poems 🙂 I like to remind the students of how important it is to dream and have goals. It seems that, according to Hughes, without dreams we’re already dead. These are scary thoughts, but hopefully they’re somehow motivating : )

I had actually responded to a comment on yesterday’s post with the first two lines of the poem. Interesting point re: scary thoughts. It seems that we understand and and can relate to extremes in a way that motivates us to do the opposite. You have given me something to think about.

3. pjbrez says:

Hmm…definitely food for thought! Odd, I didn’t see your comment yesterday. I guess we’re on the same wavelength! There’s a great word in Korean for situations like this. They say 신기해요 (shin gee hey yo). We don’t have a proper translation for it in English, but it’s something along the lines of amazing, odd, curious, fascinating, and mysterious all bundled into one word.

Remarkable term – will include it in my vocabulary beginning now. I was responding to the comment at the same time you were commenting on the next post. You were on one day and I was was on the day before….

I love being a global citizen.

5. pjbrez says:

Whoa, that’s really neat! Yes, the Internet is truly bringing us together. It’s a fascinating tool, and I hope we all never take it for granted.

I don’t think we will – there is a lot more coming, I think!!!

A lovely Irish Blessing for St Patrick’s Day? May you be blessed too.

Dear St Patrick – he was a mover and shaker! Can you imagine him blogging…

3. arjun bagga says:

Oscar Wilde’s quote is quite intriguing. To interpret signs of the subconscious mind is the way forward.

I agree, Arjun! And yet, most of us (including me) discount the ramblings of our subconscious mind. We feel safe when we feel in control of our thoughts – a false sense of security, indeed. I am learning to listen…

1. arjun bagga says:

We knew all along or maybe not but the choices we made, an image we created for the world to perceive made us rigid. Fear of being laughed at is tearing us away from the silent screams of our subconscious mind. Listening is painful now.
        We yearned for freedom and we did work hard towards it. Hard we became. Stiff.
        Now the door is wide open but we dare not.

I apologize.

Well said….thank you!

4. ehkstream says:

We Are the Dreamers of Dreams
    There’s a lot going on in that vision…
    Dreams are something everyone has, we all do it, and the operative word is WE.

Yesterday I made a significant decision towards realizing mine own dream by casting my lot with someone else’s.
    I awoke this morning from a dream of finding a valuable treasure in an impossible place. The reasons for what it was and why it was put in such a bizarre place can only be that it was a place no one else tends to look, and that the treasure was a specific tool needed to polish the “gems” we’ve already collected. Who put it there I recognized as an archetype of myself, and obviously he put it there for me to find…
    Pardon all the metaphor. Dreams are like that. 🙂

A profound addition to the dialogue. Thank you!!!

“Collective dreams are exponentially stronger than the individual dreams, yet each is essential for the other to be realized.”

5. billgncs says:

here’s to dreams and those who make them possible…

“Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you too can become great,” Mark Twain.

Yes – well said!!! Here’s to those “great” people who have encouraged and supported the dreamers of today and the future. The very best way to leave a ripple in the water.

1. billgncs says:

Samuel Clemens was always a favorite of mine. Let’s see: Churchill, Tolkien, Clemens, Van Der Post….

I knew that you had excellent taste in literature!!!

3. billgncs says:

thanks — I am reading Chinua Achebe now with his trilogy of African culture and find it very interesting, but sad in many ways.

but, mostly I am killing monsters in Borderlands2 on my playstation

Ah, you have achieved balance as well….

Must look into the trilogy – don’t know much about it…

5. billgncs says:

Interesting, Starts with “Things Fall Apart”, and startling from the perspective, very Hamlet like.

I’ve added to my list. 🙂

6. Cristi M. says:

I nominated you for the Dragon’s Loyalty Award. If you want to accept it please visit this link
    Congrats !

Dear Cristi, you are the one who builds loyalty that sustains our community. Thank you for your kind nomination!!!

Thank you! Your presence and comments are very much appreciated!

7. ….Wandering by lone sea-breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams.

I love Elgar’s setting of The Music Makers – do you know it? A beautiful work to complement a wonderful poem.

I agree – the combination is stellar.

8. Doris says:

you made me think about dreams with you last post , what are my dreams, I have lots of them but in the end it is simple to be happy and be silent and love.

Here is a quote of John Lennon…

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”

A great quote – I have just added it to my library of quotes.

I agree. The dream I have is for peace in my soul. As you say, “n the end it is simple to be happy and be silent and love.”

9. Such wonderful yellow and a poem full of cheer. A wonderful way to end the day to refresh for a new beginning

Thank you, Emily!!! The sun was out and I went for a walk with my camera. It was wonderful to feel the sunshine.

Wonderful poem. Reminiscent of another famous Irish blessing.

And we now have a new month – April – which is celebrating poetry. This is the best part of spring….