Canada Day – July 1, 2013

“Courage, my friends; ‘tis not too late to build a better world.”

Tommy Douglas, Politician who was voted the Greatest Canadian

O Canada

Canadians joined together to honour Canada’s 146th birthday.   It is our national day to commemorate the July 1, 1867 date of Canada’s confederation. There was plenty of music, laughter, parades and fireworks.  We have a great deal to celebrate.

Every Canada Day, I pay tribute to my great nation by reading over the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, the constitutional act which guarantees the rights and freedoms of our free and democratic society.  It is a task that gives me immense pleasure. It confirms the fundamental values of our diverse country.  We have the freedom of conscience and religion.  We have freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication.  We have the freedom of peaceful assembly and freedom of association.

Today, I celebrate Canada.

Our hopes are high. Our faith in the people is great. Our courage is strong. And our dreams for this beautiful country will never die.”
Pierre Trudeau

1. I have such an admiration for Canada and the vital and unobtrusive part they’ve always played in the world’s history.
    Some of my favourite diaries are those of Charles Ritchie, Canadian diplomat in the thirties and up until Kenndy… I have all his books, and they are a fascinating insight into Canadian history of that period – as well as his long running and utterly poignant affair with Elizabeth Bowen, the great English novelist.
    When I left Hong Kong, I looked at Canada as a place to come to with my small children, but decided I couldn’t cope with the cold after years in the tropics!
    A very Happy Canada Day to you

Thank you!!! It is our loss that you didn’t come to Canada. But you are so right – Canada is not known for tropical weather. Vancouver and Victoria are the mildest cities to live in Canada. I grew up in Northern Manitoba where we enjoyed minus 40 degree below zero. There are moments that I miss the biting cold, but you will note that it is moments only. I just placed a hold on “Love’s Civil War: Elizabeth Bowen and Charles Ritchie” by Elizabeth Bowen. I confess this is the first time I heard this narrative. It wasn’t covered in my Canadian History Class!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

2. LaVagabonde says:

Have a fabulous holiday. 🙂

Thanks!!! Wish you could be here to celebrate with us!!!

3. Dina says:

Hoep you had a great party. Happy Birthday, Canada! 🙂

It was quite a party! I was reading over the quotes about Canada and found this gem that I didn’t know about. Thought you would get a smile.

“An uncle of mine emigrated to Canada and couldn’t take his guitar with him. When I found it in the attic, I’d found a friend for life.”
      Sting

I join in your celebration of Canada. Happy Canada Day.

I could hear you singing “O Canada” through the cables. You have a lovely voice! 🙂

Oh good! I thought you might hear the squeaks and sneezes from my sniffy cold!

Oh No! Not a sniffy cold. Do take care of yourself. Orange juice and a good book does wonders…

Thank you. I am all out of orange juice so I am going to have to get myself to the store today 😦

Take care!!!

5. Hello Rebecca…

Well done on a great post on celebrating your nations birthday and I hope you have a great year ahead 🙂

Sometimes, in our busy lives, we take for granted our freedoms! Looking forward to the adventures ahead!!

1. 🙂 very true Rebecca, you do very well at your own personal freedom as well, being personally creative is one of the biggest freedoms we have – freedom of the mind to be creative – I know your very good at that 🙂

Thank you, Nigel! You give sunshine to my day…

6. fournier0917 says:

Had a wonderful Canada Day, in the Canadian fashion, with the Canadian modest pride for the unblinkingly great country that it is, and so recognized. Warts and all, I know that there is no better country in this present world! Hope you had a great Canada Day too. JJ

I agree wholeheartedly!! Sounds like you had a great celebration – we did, too!! 🙂

7. Doris says:

what a beautiful thing to celebrate Canada and freedom I hope one day I can go during this time. Hope you celebrate all week! I celebrate the 4 of July for USA and 16 September for Mexico independence I love to celebrate freedom.

How well said – freedom is a celebration!!!

Pierre Trudeau was correct! What a great nation!!