Sunday Evening Reflection – Reconciliation

“The overall purpose of human communication is – or should be – reconciliation. It should ultimately serve to lower or remove the walls of misunderstanding which unduly separate us human beings, one from another.” M. Scott Peck

International Centre for Reconciliation, Coventry, UK

As the Year 2019 makes way for the Year 2020 to begin, I have embraced the word “reconciliation” as my mantra for the coming year.  The definition is simply, the restoration of friendly relations, a coming together in understanding and compassion.  And yet, the act of reconciliation has emotional complexities that may be difficult to overcome.  In many ways, reconciliation is an act of faith with the anticipation that there is a beginning and a fulfillment.

“Those who love, friends and lovers, know that love is not only a blinding flash, but also a long and painful struggle in the darkness for the realization of definitive recognition and reconciliation.”Albert Camus

International Centre for Reconciliation, Coventry, UK

Join me on my walk through The International Centre for Reconciliation located in Coventry Cathedral, UK.  In 1940, with the destruction of the Coventry Cathedral, a choice was made to seek reconciliation, to model and promote the power of embracing peace and empathy.

Reconciliation Coventry Cathedral from Rebecca Budd aka Clanmother on Vimeo.

1. J.D. Riso says:

I love the idea if having a mantra for every new year and reconciliation is a brilliant one. Now I’ll have to think of one. 😉

Liked by 2 people

What I have found quite interesting about the process, is that the word seems to come to you unannounced. Last year, I chose resilience, and then looked back at all of my e-mails and blog posts – resilience was a repeating theme. Perhaps our subconscious is at work….who knows? Love those types of mysteries. Looking forward to your mantra. All the magic of the special season coming your way…

Liked by 3 people

1. J.D. Riso says:

You know, I was just walking around today all alone in my beloved snowy woods and my mantra came to me : illumination. It’s been a dark year for me, especially the last few months. I don’t shy away from doing inner work, but I am so tired. I hope this word was a gift from my subconscious, as you suggest. I’m so ready for, and truly deserve, some light. Sending you much love, my friend.

Liked by 3 people

Sometimes inner work must wait for the time and place to happen. I love the word illumination! It is full of light, awareness, openness, and the mystery of how life unfolds. You reminded me of my father’s desire for me to read the mystic, St. Teresa of Avila. I am waiting for the right moment to fulfill that promise (it has been over 8 years YIKES). But in the meantime, I love her thought: “To have courage for whatever comes in life – everything lies in that.” Looking forward to what lies ahead in 2020. Sending many hugs and much love across the miles with all speed.

Liked by 4 people

3. I once had a student who undertook a course of self-study in mystical theology around the life of St. Teresa of Avila. I worked with her to develop a prior learning assessment portfolio so that she could get college credit for what she’d learned. It was a very enlightening experience for both of us.

Liked by 1 person

We must talk more on this, Liz! This is a discussion that I would like to pursue in 2020.

2. Liz says:

What a perfect post, perfectly timed. 💕💜🌸

Liked by 1 person

I was looking back at my photo archives and came upon these photos. It brought back the memories of walking through the ruins and thinking how was it possible to seek reconciliation in these circumstances? The choice to seek wholeness, rather than anger and revenge is not easy. That is why I have chosen the word “reconciliation” for my 2020 word. Reconciliation is an internal conversation with outward action. I’m looking forward to 2020!

Liked by 3 people

3. What a peaceful place, Rebecca. I love the beautiful sculpture. It’s so moving to see the love and thought that went into its creation.

Liked by 3 people

Thank you for joining me! I have chosen the word “reconciliation” for my 2020 mantra. We may live in a perilously divided world, but we can make a start with our choice to seek peaceful outcomes. I am looking forward to our many conversations coming in 2020. Hugs and all the very best of this magical season…

Liked by 2 people

4. Lovely share, Rebecca. You’ve sparked my own need to choose a mantra for the new year. The first one that comes to mind is “persevere.” I think I’ll go with that. 🙂

Liked by 3 people

Oh, that is a wonderful word – so many stories, emotions, celebrations, resolutions embedded within. Goosebumps!

Liked by 3 people

1. Thanks. It covers several areas of my life, so it fits well.

Liked by 1 person

Perfect for the season and the year!

Liked by 3 people

You are the best! I love this season of magic and miracles.

Liked by 1 person

An excellent and challenging post. What would be a good challenge for this year, I will have to think about that. Your photography and selection of music is outstanding. I have looked and listened already several times. Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

I am so glad that you enjoyed this post, Frances. I’m looking forward to your thoughts on a podcast. Looking forward to 2020 Season 2 Tea Toast & Trivia!

7. In addition to reconciliation with others, there is reconciliation with oneself. To become reconciled is to make one’s peace with what has happened.

Liked by 1 person

How very very well said. And perhaps that is the most difficult journey of all.

Liked by 1 person

8. Very nice pictures and post!
    Happy New Year! Enjoy the holidays!

Liked by 1 person

Happy Happy New Year! Thank you for adding beauty to my days!

9. Resa says:

Love the video. You do well with your tours, thank you!
    Certainly “reconciliation” is a fine word, and a better happening. I’m going to embrace it, too.
    After WWII, reconciliation, was a vital energy, and helped pull the world back together.
    I fear many lessons have been lost, and humanity has strayed, somewhat.
    Time to pull it back together, again!

Liked by 1 person

We live in a world that demands our highest participation. My word last year was resilience, the strength to move forward, to undertake difficult tasks. This year, I am viewing these undertakings via the lens of reconciliation, which is an internal conversation, before it can show external action. Since we are celebrating 500 years since his death, I must include a Leonardo da Vinci quote: “I had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things.” May we not wait for others to do the work, but find ways in which we add to the resolution. Hugs!

1. Resa says:

Right on! Leonardo would have been a great one to have met!