Sunday Evening Reflection: Eagle & Woman

Park & Tilford’s Native Garden welcomes visitors to linger under the shady space that is dense with plants native to the Pacific Northwest coastal forests.  Surrounded by the rustling sound of leaves high above me, I enjoy the serenity of a garden that offers quiet contemplation and respite.   I am not alone for I have come to see the Squamish Nation Totem Exhibit, Eagle & Woman carved by Cody Mathias, a third-generation carver, and member of the Squamish Nation.  I have read that he found his calling by watching his grandfather and father carving totem poles.

Join me on a stroll through the Native Garden and experience Eagle & Woman’s gentle embrace, before walking across the wooden bridge to emerge into the sunlight, refreshed with renewed energy.

1. Such a gentle post – like a little HELLO to my bright morning. And beautiful soothing music, too – perfect inspiration for positive thoughts and happiness. Thank you, Rebecca.

Liked by 4 people

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments, Jo! I am delighted that you enjoyed this place. Now, more than ever nature has come to us as a way to keep us centered during an uncertain time. Hugs coming to you and Carina. Take care!

Liked by 5 people

2. Oh my, c’est belle. Beautifully tranquil.

Liked by 3 people

I am delighted that I was able to introduce you to Eagle and Woman. Did you feel the formidable force of this duo? I always come away with renewed strength. Many hugs coming your way, my dear clansister!

Liked by 2 people

1. Indeed. I did and many hugs winging back to you on eagles’ wings.

Liked by 1 person

3. Dave Astor says:

Evocative totem art and gorgeous scenery on a beautiful day. A blogging hat trick! Thank you, Rebecca, for another superb Sunday-evening multimedia post. I greatly look forward to them.

Liked by 3 people

And I greatly look forward to meeting up with you on Sundays – the conversations, the flow of ideas, bridging huge distances – the best way to start a new week of possibilities.

Liked by 2 people

2. I look forward to them as well. They’re a wonderful way to ease into a new work week.

Liked by 2 people

You just made my day, Liz, which you do on a regular basis. To get to the Native Garden, one must walk through the Moon Gate of the Oriental Garden where beautiful Japanese Maples continue to grow and flourish. The Mayor of Chiba, the sister city to North Vancouver, planted those trees many years ago. You mentioned, in a previous comment, that this would be an excellent place to recite Tanka. I think of you every time I walk over the bridge.

Liked by 2 people

2. How sweet, thank you. I do love Japanese Maples.

Liked by 1 person

4. Klausbernd says:

Dear Clanmother Rebecca,
    thank you for taking us to the totem poles of the Squamish Nation. We were always fascinated by the totem poles but we don’t know anything about it. Our first reaction seeing your post was that totem poles like our columns and obelisks going back to old Greece and even Egyptian tradition. “Very exotic!” was Siris 🙂 and 🙂 Selmas comment.
    With lots of love to you and your family. Big hugs
    The Fab Four of Cley
    🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Liked by 3 people

To be quite honest, I know very little about Totem Poles, their history and symbolism. Of course, there are excellent overviews, but as to the ancient myths and stories, alas, I may never fully understand. When I am in their presence, I feel a sense of destiny and a flow of history. It is the narratives that bind us throughout the centuries. Every civilization leaves their stories , which we eagerly explore, knowing that we are part of a wider journey. University of British Columbia has a great link of Totem Poles. https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/totem_poles/
      Sending many hugs and love to our dear friends, The Fab Four of Cley. (Siri and Selma – love your comment) You always make my day pure sunshine.

1. Klausbernd says:

Dear Clanmother Rebecca,
        Wishing you a great day, sending hugs and love and Siri 🙂 and 🙂 Selma send lots of finest fairy dust
        The Fab Four of Cley
        🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

Liked by 1 person

5. ‘Refreshed with renewed energy’ for a Monday morning after this! Thank you, my dearest Rebecca! xoxo

Liked by 4 people

Thank you for joining me across the continents and oceans. Location is merely a construct that can be overcome with love and compassion. Have a wonderful day, my dear friend.

Liked by 3 people

1. Indeed so, my dear friend. Hugs your way!

Liked by 1 person

6. Thanks so much for this, Rebecca! I would love to walk through those gardens, but virtual will have to do. Nature will always be my therapy. Btw, I mentioned you in my latest post: https://jenniferkellandperry.com/2020/08/01/a-shout-out-to-my-commenters/

Liked by 4 people

Thank you, my dear friend for the shout out – heading over to your post now. Your words, “but virtual will have to do” brought goosebumps for you have brilliantly described our current situation. We are exploring new ways of connecting, of building compassionate communities in virtual dimensions. Humanity has a marvelous way of adapting, thriving and boldly moving forward. Our creative strength give courage and resilience. So glad that we connected.

Liked by 3 people

1. I’m glad we connected too! For one thing, I have very few Canadian followers and always appreciate connecting with a fellow citizen. Blogging connections are already a virtual arena but now most of our other connections are also virtual. But it’s lovely when you reach out and someone reaches back. 💕

Liked by 3 people

I agree wholeheartedly. And to think that we are on opposite side of Canada – coast to coast!

Liked by 2 people

3. Yes, there is that huge distance! Ha ha. Oh well…

Liked by 1 person

7. J.D. Riso says:

What a peaceful space. Thank you for the walk.

Liked by 3 people

You would love Park & Tilford – there are seven gardens in total that were created on the location originally housing a distillery. The P&T website gives the background: “The Garden was the dream of George Kuhn, the CEO of Park & Tilford Distilleries, to improve the industrial site and make an enjoyable place for the employees to eat their lunch. He presented the Gardens to the community in 1969 to remain free to the public always.” It has been a gift that keeps on giving back to the community for over 50 years.

Liked by 3 people

Beautiful, all the way through this experience in our favorite garden and really so close in North Vancouver. An excellent tribute to a worthy Squamish third generation carver, so very well done! ! It is good to be able to enjoy this experience after the time of closure to protect visitors from the current virus. I even see a mark on the walkway to indicate the distance between the visitors who visit now. Thank you for this visit and others you have shared with us.

Liked by 4 people

I love when we walk through this garden together, Frances. There is always a feeling of welcome as we meander the pathways. Yes, the blue markings guide our direction and there are places that we are not allowed entry. The gardeners have taken great care to ensure that we all keep safe.

Liked by 3 people

Peace & beauty. Thank you Rebecca.

Liked by 3 people

Thank you, Cindy, for stopping by for a meditative moment. Hugs!

Liked by 1 person

10. Mary Jo Malo says:

The wisdom and strength of an eagle resting on a woman’s head. What’s not to like?! This totem sits so naturally in its soothing environment. So lovely to take virtual walks with you in places we’d ordinarily never get to visit. I agree with the sentiments expressed for you here in others’ comments. These Sunday Evening Reflections set such a positive, inspiring tone for the week to come. Thank you, and hugs always!!

Liked by 3 people

I am delighted that you joined me on the path through the Native Garden. The stories and myths of the Pacific North West are profound. They come from ancient times and resonate with power within our current reality. Another place, you would love is found at Simon Fraser University – The Frog Constellation. Every chance I get, I visit this amazing artwork. Now, the University is closed so I go back to my photos. https://ladybudd.com/2016/03/14/frog-constellation-a-love-story/. Thank you for your support and encouragement! Many hugs!

1. Mary Jo Malo says:

Thank you for the link!

Liked by 2 people

11. What is most striking to me about your video is how perfectly the totem fits in its natural surroundings. It’s as if it were a tree that had grown there and not manmade at all.

Liked by 2 people

A brilliant insight, Liz. You reminded me of a quote by Emily Carr: “You must be absolutely honest and true in the depicting of a totem for meaning is attached to every line. You must be most particular about detail and proportion.” Totem poles have great meaning and our definitions are inadequate. For me, they remind me that story is what we are and what we pass on….

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you, Rebecca. Thank you for the Emily Carr quote. Particularly in the US, we need to be reminded that totem poles are not decoration.

Liked by 2 people

12. This is a beautiful post in so many ways, Rebecca. Thank you for this calming stroll. Hugs on the wing!

Liked by 2 people

Thank you Teagan! Sunday evenings were always a time of high stress for me as I prepared for Monday mornings. After a restful weekend, I started to think about all of the responsibilities that came with a new week. That is when I came up with a Sunday evening reflection which was like taking a deep breath. Instead of anticipating I turned to keeping my mind creative. Mark Twain says it best: “I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.” Hugs coming back with swift wings.

Liked by 2 people

1. I know what you mean. I had more than one job that when I started dreading Monday — on Friday evening! Well, I knew it was time to leave.
        Love the wisdom of Mark Twain. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

13. Resa says:

The post is soft. The totem is fierce.
    How lucky I am to know you, and all the joy you bring us, much of it from British Columbia.
    We must make amends with out native families, who still do not have the respect of fresh water, and their native hunting grounds.

Liked by 2 people

Thank you, Resa. What I love about our blogging community is that we travel the world from our kitchen tables. I am learning that when we stand still and live in the moment, the world comes to us in the form of music, story, art, conversation. The quote that comes to mind is by Richard Wagamese – Embers: One Ojibway’s Meditations We approach our lives on different trajectories, each of us spinning in our own separate, shining orbits. What gives this life its resonance is when those trajectories cross and we become engaged with each other, for as long or as fleetingly as we do. There’s a shared energy then, and it can feel as though the whole universe is in the process of coming together. I live for those times. No one is truly ever “just passing through.” Every encounter has within it the power of enchantment, if we’re willing to look for it.”

1. Resa says:

Amazing words! Thank you, Rebecca!

Liked by 1 person

14. Jean-Jacques says:

Belated appreciation… but to say the least, extraordinarily beautiful these magnificent totem sculptured poles! Lucky you to have easy access to such works of art…

Liked by 2 people

You are never later, Jean-Jacques. I am delighted that you stopped by and enjoyed Eagle and Woman. I love this part of the garden. I remember watching carvers on Granville Island bring a totem pole to life. You reminded me of another totem pole that I visit at Simon Fraser University that remembers a vibrant life. Here is the link to the blog post I wrote about her. https://ladybudd.com/2016/04/15/world-art-day-a-declaration-of-spirit/

1. Jean-Jacques says:

I remember it well now that refer me to that link. That I was just about to publish a poem, partly related to this subject, when I read your Eagle & Woman is somewhat of a coincidence. I’ve no doubt you’ll quickly recognize the issue…

Liked by 1 person