Peace with our Enemy

Partners

• Apartheid – the repugnant policy or system of segregation or discrimination based on racial standards
  • Nelson Mandela (Madiba – his Xhosa clan name) – the anti-apartheid activist, the leader and co-founder of Umkhonto we Sizwe, the armed wing of the African National Congress (ANC)

Nelson Mandela was charismatic, handsome, a brilliant communicator, and a serious activist. He was at his peak when he was handed a prison sentence – intellectual courage fused with physical strength, a dynamic and deadly combination. Elegantly dressed in the most expensive suits, he was the quintessential revolutionary ready to accept any risk in pursuit of his dream: an Africa which is in peace with itself.” Nelson Mandela served 27 years in prison.  He never lost courage.  Instead, he found a way to achieve peace.

“If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy.  Then he becomes your partner.”

Nelson Mandela (Madiba)

A great man, empowered by a great poem, “Invictus”

Thanks for the reminder!!! Indeed…

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
      Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
      I thank whatever gods may be
      For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
      I have not winced nor cried aloud.
      Under the bludgeonings of chance
      My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
      Looms but the Horror of the shade,
      And yet the menace of the years
      Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll.
      I am the master of my fate:
      I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

2. Beautiful!!!!
    Que cores!
    Super!!!
    Pedro

Muchas gracias por su visita y comentarios! Me alegro de que nos encontramos en los kilómetros blogger. Mirando hacia adelante a nuestro diálogo en curso …

3. Ed Spadoni says:

Members of congress in this country could learn a lot from Mr. Mandela.

It goes back to Jimi Hendrix quote doesn’t it: “When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.” It seems that Nelson Mandela found peace within himself during those difficult years and was able to share it with the world.

4. mixedupmeme says:

His is an amazing story and an inspiration to so many. Most of us would have given up.

I agree! I can’t even envision a week in prison. When he speaks, we all listen.

5. billgncs says:

my first understanding of that time came from this book:
    The True Confessions of an Albino Terrorist by Breyten Breytenbach, you may find it an interesting read.

I had a brief touch of it here: http://bwthoughts.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/the-unifying-power-of-sport-yars/

– bw

Thank you for sharing that post and adding so much to this dialogue. Indeed, sports brings people together!!! Teams must work together for a common cause. I had goosebumps when I read it….

6. Amazing man and an amazing poem. Thoughtful dialogue.

Thank you so much for your comments and visit! I very much appreciate your support and encouragement.

Wow! Your comments section rocks! Invictus….awesome!

Thank you!!! And you make it even more awesome with your visits.

8. adinparadise says:

Madiba really had the right recipe. What a pity he’s now too old and frail to lead South Africa to a brighter future. I think he would be horrified to see what the new leaders are doing today.

I was reading some quotes by Madiba on that very question. It seems that he knew that his time was limited, when he encouraged others by saying: “Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great, you can be that generation”
      ― Nelson Mandela

1. adinparadise says:

We had high hopes at the time.

Yes, we did! We are living through interesting times – difficult, complex – all of which demands a high level of participation from all sides if we are to continue…

9. I just heard that he is doing better physically now after having some bad times. I am glad. He is a spiritual grandfather to many thousands.!

I am glad to hear that!!! Your are so right – he continues to be a spiritual grandfather…