The Rooster Crows – Awake

The Rooster

Sigmund Freud once wrote, “Dreams are the royal road to the unconscious.”  The other day, a close friend confided that she had the most wonderful dream about a brilliantly plumed rooster. This was an extraordinary event considering that my friend’s last contact with chickens was as a child many years ago.   From what I understand, the rooster decided to live in her yard, which was problematic given strict city ordinances.  The main focus of her dream was problem-solving on how to keep the rooster.

I was curious.  What was the significance of a rooster?  Compared with other mythological birds such as the Gryphon, the Thunderbird and Phoenix, the rooster seems rather commonplace.  Quite the contrary. Over the centuries, the rooster has garnered a prodigious status in the magical lore arena.   A powerful masculine symbol, he embodies the brilliance of the sun, and exudes the excellent qualities of bravery, strength, prudence and honesty.  Of course, there may be a tendency to exhibit some arrogance and excessive flamboyance.  But with the frilled comb on his head, and vibrant plumage, it would be difficult not to “strut his stuff.”

In ancient times, the rooster, with his solar power and masculine energy, was the sacred sign to the gods, Apollo, Persephone and Zeus.  Later, people believed they could harness this same energy by eating the bird, a foreshadowing of one of our most popular soups –  chicken broth, which is thought to have an invigorating effect. In the Chinese Zodiac, those who are born under the sign of the rooster are enthusiastic and have a marvelous sense of humour.  Many Christian churches have chosen to include the rooster on their weather-vanes,  which can be seen as  a sign of spiritual enlightenment.

Roosters that appear in dreams are said to be reminding us to the passing of time.  With their spirited cock-a-doodle-doo, they prompt us to live boldly, to use our talents, to look within, to awake.

“Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”

Carl Jung

1. Jean-Jacques says:

Hi Rebecca,

What a wonderful piece… thus so, that I now will have to share my admiration for crow with brother rooster. After you’re story, not a difficult have to, to accomplish!

Sorry my dear, as an admirer, of crows, as you, I just couldn’t resist. If you think generously on the words that follow, you can almost feel my now mutual admiration for crow and rooster… when “the rooster crows – awake”… “the crow roister – to awake so”

Jean-Jacques

Liked by 1 person

LOVE your words. You have a marvelous way of turning a phrase. I find it fascinating that we recognize that animals and birds hold special, even sacred, meaning. Perhaps it is because they remind us “to awake so.”

2. LaVagabonde says:

Dreams are a priceless gift from the unconscious. Such a vibrant photo of a beautiful creature.

Liked by 1 person

I agree, LaVagabonde! We give meaning to our conscious thoughts, but rarely recognize the significance of our dreams. They are indeed priceless gifts. The best part about having a iPhone is that I can catch important moments easily. I was so excited when I heard the familiar refrain of cock-a-doodle-doo. What a handsome fellow!!

3. giselzitrone says:

Liebe Grüße lasse ich mal hier wünsche ein gutes Wochenende Gruß Gislinde

Liked by 1 person

Vielen, vielen Dank für Ihre Kommentare und Besuch. Hab ein wundervolles Wochenende. Besten Wünsche.

4. judilyn says:

I hadn’t thought about the use of their likenesses on weather vanes, but now that you mention it . . . ;-> An interesting bit of information on an animal I haven’t seen much of.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Liked by 1 person

Hugs coming back over the blogger miles. I had no idea that roosters were highlighted in weather-vanes that perched atop Churches. I checked it out and found that Pope Gregory 1 (540 – 12 March) maintained that the rooster(cock) was the most suitable emblem of Christianity (with ties to St. Peter) Then there was Pope Nicholas (800 – 867) who decreed that a figure of the rooster should be placed on every church steeples. There is a great deal of discussion on this subject, but it seems that it is about keeping ever vigilant. I continue to learn…

1. judilyn says:

Learning – a lifelong passion! ;->

Liked by 1 person

I agree – there is so much to learn, so many books to read and so very little time. But that makes it all the more important. Learning gives joy to our lives. Hugs!

Liked by 1 person

5. If you give roosters all the space they really need, I am sure their energy which they convey on us will even envigorate!! Have a good day, Rebecca

Liked by 1 person

I agree wholeheartedly. I was looking up interesting facts about roosters and found this link to the Smithsonian that I think that you would find interesting.

I especially noted # 5: With 25 billion chickens in the world, there are more of them than any other bird species.

Liked by 1 person

I was fortunate, and indeed blest, to have grown up on the farm. We had many chickens because some of the farms revenue came from eggs and the sale of the birds at all stages of their growth. One of the farm magazines had a series of photos showing the many breeds of chickens. Each picture had the rooster at center stage and very colorful. It was easy to imagine he was proud of the large “comb” on his head and his brightly colored feathers, especially the larger ones standing tall on his tail. And, as you mentioned in your post, he could be seen “strutting his stuff” always! Weather vanes in his image were often seen on the roof top of the large farm barns. I was not acquainted with the mythology. It is very interesting–thank you. I always connect the rooster with “before the cock crows”.

Liked by 1 person

What a wonderful childhood! As for the mythology surrounding the rooster, I am finding that since the beginning, they have been recognized as special. I am reminded, yet again, that we share our earth with amazing creatures.

2. I love your words . Thank you and all the best. Best regards Martina

Liked by 1 person

Thank you, Martina! Thought you would be interested to know that Ms Frances is my mother!

2. I had my suspects, ha! What a beautiful childhood you must have had, even when it was maybe hard! 🍇🌻🍓🍷

Liked by 1 person

7. Yes, they are so majestic and one can understand how the saying “Rule the roost” got into the English language. Lovely post, Rebecca. Happy weekend to you. xx

Liked by 1 person

That is a perfect description – “rule the roost” I looked up the origin and found that is goes as far back as 1769. It is related to “Chickens come home to roost.” So the question that arises, when the hens come back, who really is in charge!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 Thank you for stopping by – have a wonderful weekend. Vancouver’s weekend forecast – sunshine!

1. We women know who is really in charge. 😄

Indeed we do!! I laughed out loud when I read your reply. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. I can just imagine that guffaw!

Liked by 1 person

8. Are those your chickens? How did you get him to crow on cue? Had chicken for dinner. Hoping for invigorating dreams —

I happened to be walking in a lovely neighbourhood and found these marvelous creatures just beyond a fence. They seemed to be posing for me! How could I resist? The best part was the cock-a-doodle-doo! It was one of those “meant to be” moments. I love this quote Ansel Adams: “Sometimes I do get to places just when God’s ready to have somebody click the shutter.”

Liked by 1 person

1. You and Ansel Adams. What a pair!

Liked by 1 person

Did you know that Ansel Adams knew Georgia O’Keeffe? Can you imagine – the discussions must have been exciting.

Liked by 1 person

3. Wonder what he thought about cattle skulls? And vulvular flower parts?

A very good question!!!

9. Well, I’ve never ever dreamed of a rooster! 😀 I probably will now that I’ve said that! I grew up in the country as a child and for a few years lived close enough to a field of chickens to hear the morning ‘doodle do’. I’m essentially a city girl at heart, but do love the sound of a rooster in the morning, much better than the dire alarm clock! It’s amazing what our mind creates in dreams in order to tell us something we should be paying attention to. And chicken soup will never be the same again, I had no idea they ate it in order to gain it’s energy – how totally strange!

Liked by 1 person

I too am fascinated by the thought that our minds create the dreams that are kept hidden from our waking hours. Even more interesting to me is that we are not the only creatures that dream. I have seen a dog sleepy quietly and then start to “run in place.” Dreams hold many thoughts. I especially like this quote: “Nights through dreams tell the myths forgotten by the day.” C.G. Jung, Memories, Dreams, Reflections

10. Kah Choon says:

Thanks for sharing this informative piece of essay about rooster, now I knew them better. 🙂 Inspiring, thank you.

Liked by 1 person

So glad that you enjoyed this post. My appreciation for Roosters has increased a great deal after reading more about their meaning and legacy.